Friday 30 January 2009

Off on a road trip to Goondiwindi !!

Hi All,

Well the training has been coming along nicely. I have concentrated on a lot of strength and endurance work but no speed work as yet. I am driving up to Goondiwindi for the "Hell of the West" triathlon on Saturday. It is about an 8.5-10hour trip I have been told. I have a partner in this escapade, Andrew Sawatske from High Tide Photography. He is the official photographer for the race and lives on the Central Coast. We will start our road trip from Newcastle. I think registration is in the late afternoon followed by a pasta feed with the organisers. This race is a little different in that it is normally high 30's-mid 40's degree celcius during the race. We start early (3am check in and 5am swim start) but by 8am the temperature is already 35. The non-wetsuit 2km swim is up current in the local river for 1km, then turn with the tide. The 80km bike is an out & back on large blue chip with very strong winds to work you hard as the mercury climbs. The 20km run is a 3 looper out/back so that the whippets can chase you down. Sure to be nice & tough especially after driving up the day before. I am looking forward to a good test knowing that I have a good training base behind me know with 5 weeks to NZ IM needing only some fine tuning and speed work to be done. It will be interesting to see how my IM strength/endurance goes against the speed work of others focusing on this race. I hope to also get some good photos from the race.

Cheers,
Bevan.

No comments: