Thursday 20 March 2008

Sparke Helmore Solo Triathlon

Hi Guys,

Sam and I headed up to Newcastle for the Sparke Helmore Solo Triathlon. This is my yearly handicap triathlon race with the Bynon clan and friends. This year saw an extended course due to the large number of participants and a huge transition area. Rather than a single out and back run course, it was a double out/back loop. So more viewing for the chasing speedsters to catch me and more time for me to look for the handicappers!

Soft Sam pulled the pin due to sickness, the Lee's dropped out due to family commitments, but the lovely 'Surging' Sandy Bynon was back and fitter than ever, whilst Steve 'S Club 7' Howard was lining up for his first ever tilt at a triathlon. The handicaps worked out on last year's times were:

Bevan - scratch (last year overall win in a course record of 47:40min)
Sandy - 1.5 x Bevan's time (not a novice anymore)
Steve - 2 x Bevan's time - 5mins (this was considered a bit lenient)

The tide had turned and the swim course was reversed. The nerves showed on S Club, but his swim and race hinged on Soft Sam giving him his glasses after the swim. No glasses equalled carnage on the multi-loop bike. Sandy was quiet and confident. I had to blast it and live up to my nickname of 'Bam Bam'.

I lead from start to finish in the race overall and crossed in 47:43 narrowly missing the course record. The loaned bike certainly flyes thanks to Greg from 3 Sports. An extra distance on the run courtesy of a marshall cost the record - she thought I was in a separate race distance as I was too far ahead. Ah well, a back track to the correct path and no love lost. But, was the handicap gone??

I went to watch the others and both Steve and Sandy exited transition 2 at the same time. Steve had foxed us ;) . The duo had had a great ride and surely with no blow ups, Steve had the handicap and the first beers. Sandy was cruising on the run and I could be last on handicap and 1st beer round buyer!

Final times were: Bam Bam - 47:43min; Surging - 1hr12:56min; S Club 7 - 1hr16:25min.
Handicapped to beat Bevan - Surging had to go sub 1hr11:34.5; S Club 7 had to go sub 1hr30:045secs.

Handicap winner - Steve 'S Club 7' Howard!! Followed by me and then Sandy. So, first round is on Sandy at the next function!!

Congrats to Steve and Sandy on a great race and Sam for her support. I was happy with the overall win but a bit disappointed to miss the record by a few seconds even if the course was longer. Next up is some hard training weeks in preparation for Strongman Japan. As always, a big thank you to my sponsors: Nick from Platypus Asset Management, Greg from 3 Sports, John from High 5, Brooks Shoes, and Ralph from Ryders Eyewear.

Train safe and race hard,
Bevan.

No comments: